Monday, March 25, 2013

Meatball Monday

This weekend, while at brunch with the fam, the conversation of meatballs came up.  My sister-in-law told me that she was looking for a good recipe.  To which I replied, "Hello, I'm Italian, of course I have a good recipe!"  My grandma (my dad's mom) used to make these meatballs, and then taught my mom, who then taught me.  Over the years, everyone has added their own spin by adjusting the level of seasoning, but in general, its remained the same.  Unfortunately, this is not the kind of recipe that gives exact measurements (isn't that the case with all family recipes??).  I've listed out the ingredients and steps below, but basically I just eye-ball the seasoning until I feel that its "just right".  This recipe makes a large batch, so I suggest making them for a group of friends, or freezing some for additional meals.  This is one of the Hubs favorite things that I make.  He actually tells me not to make them that often because he eats way too many!  Enjoy!

xoxo,
Jen

Ingredients:
1 lb Ground Sirloin
1 lb Ground Round (I usually substitute this with lean ground beef)
2 Eggs
Parmesan Cheese
Romano Cheese
Garlic Cloves or Minced Garlic
Garlic Powder
Italian Bread Crumbs
Salt
Pepper
Oregano/Basil (or Italian Seasoning)
Water

Directions:
Add all ingredients into a bowl.
Mix together with hands (you may want to wear gloves)
Add a little bit of water if you feel that the mixture is getting dry along the way
(I usually go back and repeat seasoning/breadcrumbs/garlic and mix again, at least 1-2 times, depending on how flavorful you want your meatballs)


Shape meat mixture into balls and place on a cookie sheet


Bake for 20 minutes at 350 degrees



Serve with pasta, alone with sauce, in a sub, etc.


No comments:

Post a Comment