Monday, July 9, 2012

Healthy Pita Pizzas

Pizza is a favorite in our house (isn't in a favorite in everyone's house?!).  In an effort to eat healthier, I started creating a twist on our normal take-out pizzas.  I've been making this for years now and I still have clean plates at the end of the meal.  The great thing about making your own pizzas is that you can create any kind that you want.  The Hubs and I have different tastes so I make one (two) for him and one for me.  I usually go for a pesto and margherita pizza, while the Hubs likes a pepperoni pizza (which I make with turkey pepperoni and tell him its real pepperoni).  I use a large round stone (mine is from Pampered Chef) to cook the pita pizzas on.  Bon Appetit!

xoxo, Jen



Pesto and Margherita Pita Pizza:


Ingredients:


Whole wheat pocketless pita
Reduced fat pesto
Olive oil
Garlic
Seasoning (oregano, italian blend, garlic salt)
Tomato
Reduced fat mozzarella cheese


Directions:


Heat oven to 425 degrees.  


Arrange pita(s) on large round stone.


In a small bowl, combine olive oil, garlic, and seasoning.  I don't use a specific amount of each, I just base it on how seasoned I want my pizza.


Spread reduced fat pesto on the pita.  Brush a desired amount of olive oil mixture on top of the pesto.


Take a bit of cheese and sprinkle on the pita.


Add sliced tomato and sprinkle additional cheese (your desired amount) on top.  


Add desired amount of oregano on top for additional flavor.


Pop in the oven for 12-15 minutes depending on your desired crispiness.





Turkey Pepperoni Pita Pizza:


Ingredients:


Whole wheat pocketless pita
Pizza Sauce
Seasoning (oregano, crushed red pepper flakes)
Reduced fat mozzarella cheese


Directions:


Heat oven to 425 degrees.  


Arrange pita(s) on large round stone.


Spread desired amount of pizza sauce on pita.


Take a bit of cheese and sprinkle on the pita.


Add turkey pepperoni slices and sprinkle additional cheese (your desired amount) on top.  



Add desired amount of oregano and crushed red pepper flakes on top for additional flavor.


Pop in the oven for 12-15 minutes depending on your desired crispiness.













1 comment:

  1. ...trying to decide if i should make this myself or just come visit you...hmmmm....anyways, looks yummy!!!!

    ReplyDelete